Thursday, August 15, 2019

Specialized Library Programs

The two specialized services I choose to highlight from my local Library were the events that I found were the Cozy Mystery Club and the children's Story Time. I picked these because they are popular programs that run often and feel very essential to my local library. They are specifically run at certain times at each location consistently and are considered events that are apart of the on going programs list and are not seasonal. The two specialized services I choose to highlight from another branch were something specific to larger areas because of things like funding and need. I choose the Adult Literacy assessment for computers offered by the DC Public Library as well as the Library orientation program. The adult literacy program is one in which patron can get better versed in technology and even take the next step with the NorthStart digital assessment. The Library orientation program is one in which patrons schedule to learn about how the ALRC handles books and other media. As a whole I think these are all great services and feel necessary and essential to all libraries. I think in some capacity it is very essential for patrons to have the option to learn more about the operations of and management of the library so they are utilizing it more. Similarly I think that small things like extra curricular clubs are needed to keep the community ready and willing to think of the library as a safe space for fun. This includes clubs and groups that do things that are not directly related to books. I think the target audiences for all these services are mainly students or adults who want to further the current digital literacy which is something everyone everywhere wants as technology becomes more advanced and it is important. Having it for free within the community makes the library all the more essential. The bulk of public libraries mission statements are there to assist the community and bring it together which is most possible when the community it coming to the library for physical programs and interacting with one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment